Hazard Perception Test

Practise with the DVSA revision hazard perception test.

Try this free theory test practice and test your knowledge before the real test. If you need the full DVSA revision test, you can order it here.

1Hazard Perception Test

• Start the clip by selecting the "start" -button.
  • Select the "Hazard!" -button when you spot a developing hazard.
  • System may stop recording your reactions if you press too many times.
  • A marker appears at the point where you pressed
  • At the end of the video, select "Show solution" and you see a time frame when the hazard appeared in the video
  • If you react to a hazard too early or too late (not inside the time frame), you get 0 points.
  • (In the live test, there is no "Hazard!" -button, instead you can press the whole video screen.)
  • To have a smooth video playback, make sure your internet connection is at least 1mbps

Hazard perception test explained

Hazard perception test is the second part of the UK theory test

Hazard perception test is the harders part of the UK Theory test. Hazard perception test evaluates how well a learner driver is able spot and react to a hazardous situation on the road. Detecting a potential hazard early enough is an important skill that all drivers should have. Good hazard perception helps prevent road accidents and save lives.

What is the Hazard Perception test?

Learners will watch fourteen one minute long hazard perception test video clips (nineteen clips for lorry and bus candidates). Hazard perception clips are computer generated imagery (CGI) and filmed from the perspective of a passenger car driver. Learners have to indicate, usually by clicking a mouse button or touching the screen, when they observe a developing hazard. All of the hazard perception clips will include one developing hazard, and one will include 2 hazards. The sooner the student reacts to a developing hazard, the more points are scored. Points are from five down to one, with no score if the examinee reacts too late.

How to prepare for Hazard Perception test?

• Use this theory test practice
  • Purchase a book
  • Take lessons with a driving instructor

DVSA Revision Hazard Perception test

Check one of these sites, if you want to practise with all of the DVSA revision practices. These questions are licensed from the DVSA, people who set the test

DVSA Hazard perception 2019

The DVSA hazard perception test maximum possible score is 75 and the pass mark is 44/75. The pass mark is same for motorcycle hazard perception test. When qualifying as an approved driving instructor you need to score at least 57 points out of 75 to pass the ADI hazard perception test. Bus and LGV hazard perception test pass mark is 67/100 and the test contains 19 CGI clips.

Hazard perception test online

Here you can find more hazard perception tests for online practising.

Hazard perception CGI

What does "hazard perception CGI" mean? CGI comes from Computer-Generated Imagery. CGI clips replaced the old filmed hazard clips in the hazard perception part of the theory test on 13 Jan 2015. The reason why they changed filmed clips to CGI clips was that the image quality wasn’t clear enough.

Differences between old and new hazard perception CGI clips

Here you can see a picture where on the right is an updated hazard perception CGI clip.

hazard perception

These new CGI clips looks clearer than the old ones. Even the clips are now CGI, there are no other changes in the test.

Hazard perception test pass mark

Hazard perception test pass mark is shown here:

Car and motorcycle

• Number of clips: 14
  • Developing hazards: 15
  • Pass mark: 44/75

Lorry, coach and bus hazard test

• Number of clips: 19
  • Developing hazards: 20
  • Pass mark: 67/100

ADI theory test hazard perception part 1

• Number of clips: 14
  • Developing hazards: 15
  • Pass mark: 57/75

What is a developing hazard?

Developing hazard is something that may result in you having to take some action while driving your vehicle. The action can be for example changing your speed or direction.

How to pass the theory test

How to pass the theory test:

Actual theory test questions are not public, however, you can practise the DVSA theory test revision questions with this site free or paid content.

Every year..

Warning road signs test
85 %
2 hours 13 min ago
Warning road signs test
90 %
2 hours 20 min ago

Comments

Ollie

Hi Eddie,

I have the same problem as you, When I took my theory test about 3 years ago the test will have similar marking system but will be more accurate on the times, so when you see a car coming through a tunnel wide enough for only one car, for example, It will mark you from the time the sign becomes visible ect.

Zena

Well said this is exactly what it is just a good way to get more money i don’t think it’s fair i can spot the hazard but according to the DVSA it’s to early so am scoring 0

Ukrainian friend

just click 3 times (0.5 sec every click) in beginning hazard ...then interval... and click again 3 times in the middle of situation. Interval should be minimum near 1 second. this is the Einstein's theory. Good luck my English friends ))))

bumblebee

I agree I'm not a biker but I was seeing the hazards early too I failed my theory today because I was 1 mark away from the pass mark on the hazard perception but passed the multiple choice woth 46 out of 50 I also don't like how when then car turns out of junctions or goes around the roundabouts it messes with your eyes so I'm another £25 down as I've had to rebook

Jadie

Hi.. i have failed my hazard test twice now, i think i am clicking to early..i see the hazard approaching quicker than some and the computer does not recognise this. The theory multi questions i have passed twice but does not count because i have to pass both parts. Why can i not just do the Hazard test not both again..Also people that are clicking on everything on the hazard test are passing, and they have no idea which was the hazard to begin with..and people like me who are only clicking on actual Hazards are failing... The hard perception test needs scraping.

Denise

I bought hazzard test yesterday morning because I had not revised on the hazard test and already failed twice due to not revising for hazard. I used this website and the hazard perception was the biggest help, it was just like the new 2016 hazed test! and guess what I PASSED ! thank you.

Heather

I feel very scunert good scotch word to sum up this experience. Sat test yesterday failed on hp. I also have a motorbike and have good road sense. This test and even the process needs looking at. I found there was alot of uncertainty with candidate's which caused stress to folks just waiting to have peace to get on with the process....one man couldn't understand what was expected he made such a scene about it and the staff found it difficult to handle. This was all i needed to help my settling nerves. It was a experience can't wait go next time haha. Ordered nerves of steel.

Nancy Lorraine

Thank you all for comments on the hazard test. I also failed this part of the test. I have been a cyclist since 1985, very accustomed to anticipating hazards and a car driver in another country since 2000. I know I am on the lookout and safe and courteous on the road.
It seems I was clicking too far in advance also. The test needs to be improved to allow registering potential hazards way sooner. Also I found it disconcerting when the simulated car would not stop. It would help to have a click for slow and a click for stop. I felt no control over the vehicle and ended up believing my clicks were not recognized.

guest

Why would you like to stop or slow the vehicle? That is not the point of the hazard perception test. You just click as soon as possible when you see a developing hazard, and that's it. You need to also know which is a hazard and which is not a hazard.

guest

I've been a motorcycle messenger in California for 16 years and have ridden in the UK for three and I took the Hazard perception test and failed. The CGI is different compared to the video clips online and I was clicking too early for the computer to detect my perception. I think there should be a larger window to allow for people to click as soon as something is detectable and that they should use real video clips.

jimmy

everything is a potential hazard when on the road or foot paths !... and should b treated as such .. not just these clicks

Chris

I'm glad it's not just me and a case of sour grapes. I have been driving for 38 yrs, I have a car and HGV licence, I also occasionally drive high profile cars which I had to take a practical test for. The other day I failed my hazard perception test for bike and think it is just a money making concern. Like others I could see things well in advance of their scoring window and realise everything is a potential hazard, any car door can open unexpectedly, any pedestrian could step out, any car could fail to stop at a junction, and vehicle can change lane without warning. It is not a true reflection of driving or riding. What does failing the HP test mean, that I am now not safe to drive on the road....total nonsense!

michelle

Would be nice to have more free hazard to learn off

Andrew

i have just failed the mock hazzard test as it did not recognise car coming from side road into my view from the left. and missed some one standing at a cross roads

Miss

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I used this site www.uktheorytest.net to practise for my test and it was really good.

Vlad

Interesting comments. I am now doing HGV license and I don't see hazards that early as they expect me to see them. When I see hazard it is already on 3points or lower. Most if not all of them are like that. I have been actively driving 3.5t van for 10 years on very busy roads and towns and also driving my private car for 15 years without accident. I could score full points only once and that was pure guess so well done you seeing things that are not on the screen yet. Oh and for lorries and buses passing point is much higher than cars and bikes. I am a bit frustrated by that test as if I pass it will be pure guess.

Claire

I've taken my theory test 3 times n failed only on the hp. Like u I've click 2 say I've seen the hazard but because the computer hasn't registered it within its window I've scored 0. I don't it's fair. The camera angle is wrong and it doesn't allow u any side view vision which ud get in a normal car. I feel they r only allowed 2 pass so many per day which is y so many fail but yet the idiots who joy ride and drive like maniacs pass even tho they cause more hazards to others.ive emailed them with a complaint as I was only scored on 13 clips n not 14 and 5 of those i was given a 0 for clicking 2 early . Surely the time window should b from the start of the video until the end n not just where they c them.

Joseph

Hi,
I just wanted to thank for this great site. This really helped me to pass the test!
Thank you!

Shaanie

Clicking too early? Too late ? Gave up. Then counted a couple of seconds after the click, suddenly I’m scoring. Yet my first click no counted which no doubt is deemed as being ‘over cautious’, actually I call it preparing myself’. I’m Still trying people.